Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Setting Up Shop

Three Lakes Trail
Morgan Monroe State Forest. By yours truly.

Welcome. Under Indiana is very much a work in progress. I've learned a lot over the last year or so of blogging at my dinosaur blog Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs. I'd like this site to be a valuable resource for curious Hoosiers of all ages and levels of science knowledge. When I was growing up in Northwest Indiana (a.k.a. "The Region" or "Chicagoland"), I visited natural areas in the state because they were all I had: I couldn't see the Smokies or the Rockies every year, so I went to the dunes. No ocean? Lake Michigan served the purpose. No breathtaking red rock canyonlands? Head down to Turkey Run one weekend.

After I'd grown up a bit, I learned to appreciate my home state on its own terms. I think it's a common experience for lovers of natural history: a deepening appreciation of the world that goes beyond the biggest, the splashiest, the most touristy. From the fossiliferous limestone of the south to the glaciated landscapes of the north, from the humblest crinoid fragment to Arcdotus simus, Hoosiers have plenty of natural history to be proud of, to share with the rest of the world, and to inspire new generations.

I'm in the process of figuring out a posting schedule and topics, as well as compiling and organizing the definitive list of links to help you learn about and explore Indiana's natural areas and its past. Thanks for stopping by, and if you're interested in pitching in, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. If all goes as planned, I'll be visiting ye olde birth state in September '11. Let me know if there's anything around Terre Haute you want me to dig in to. I'd be happy to snoop and report!

    So happy to see someone exploring the finer bits of Indiana, lemme tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I'll definitely take a good look-see at what's cool around "the Haute."

    ReplyDelete